When I was young, one of my favorite weekend trips was to my Grandma Lorrie’s big old farmhouse. All of my cousins were always around to play, there were animals galore, and of course, the sweets and treats were amazing. Alongside Grandma’s unforgettable sticky buns, (this is a near-future post!) I always remember her cookie jar being stocked full of fresh homemade cookies. It was the cutest old jar, and though I don’t remember the exact inscription, there was a fantastic saying painted on the side. It read something like,“1 cookie for $.25 or 2 grandma kisses.” The jar was placed on the edge of the counter, right where you walk in the front door. This way, immediately upon entering the house, you could grab a cookie, pay with kisses, and indulge in homemade goodness. Though my cookie jar is not nearly as cute as Grandma Lorrie’s, I still love to maintain her tradition of keeping it filled with fresh cookies, be it my Grandma Viola’s ginger snaps, Classic Oatmeal Raisin, Snickerdoodles, Peanut butter etc… Sometimes you just need a quick sweet, and what better to fulfill that craving than a homemade cookie?
The cookies found most often in my cookie jar, as they are Ryan’s favorite, are my Classic Chocolate Chip cookies. I think it’s a scientific fact that everybody needs a “best of the best” chocolate chip recipe in their recipe box, so today I thought I would share mine. Soft and chewy on the inside, a slight crunch on the outside, and packed with gooey morsels of chocolate, these Chocolate Chip Cookies are the perfect dessert for a packed lunch, or delicious pick me up after a long day. Enjoy!
*Extra tip: Take the cookies out one minute before you think you should…they will continue to bake once you remove them from the oven, and this will prevent the dreaded crunchy cookie. That is, unless you are a person who loves crunchy cookies, then by all means, bake an extra minute more!
Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies
Yields: 24 BIG cookies
- 2/3 Cup Butter – Room Temperature
- 1/2 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar – Packed
- 1 Egg
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla
- 1 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Generous Cups Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (Can also use milk chocolate, white chocolate, butterscotch etc.)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix butter, sugars, egg and vanilla thoroughly.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, soda and salt.
- Mix dry ingredients with the wet until just combined.
- Mix in chocolate chips.
- Drop by generous tablespoons about 2-3 inches apart on ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake 10-12 minutes (depending on size of cookie) until very lightly browned. Remove cookies from oven and allow to cool slightly on the cookie sheet before transferring to a cooling rack.