I always loved to tear the crispy crusts off of my sandwich and dunk them into the creamy soup, allowing them to soak up all that yummy tomato flavor. It was the perfect weeknight meal.
This past week I received about four pounds of tomatoes from some friends, so I decided to make my own version of this favorite family classic. Filled with flavors of fresh garlic, onion, basil and tomato, this smooth and creamy soup is sure to please.
Paula’s Notes: While this soup is deliciously creamy without the addition of any cream or milk, by adding in a splash at the end, you will help round out the flavor of the tomato and create a nice “finish” to the soup. You can really use anything you have in the fridge: Soy milk, Heavy Cream, Skim Milk, Evaporated milk…just stir in about a half of a cup at the very end and it will be perfect!
Roasted Tomato and Basil Soup
- 3 pounds fresh tomatoes – cored and cut in half
- 1 medium onion – sliced into wedges
- 4 cloves of garlic – peeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 4 cups of chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon dried basil or 1/4 cup fresh
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk, milk, soy milk, half and half, cream
(whatever you prefer)
- Salt and pepper – to taste
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Spread cored and halved tomatoes, garlic cloves, and onion
wedges onto a parchment lined baking tray (be sure the tray has an edge, as
juices will begin to run while the vegetables cook).
- Toss vegetables with 2 tablespoons olive oil and season with
salt and pepper.
- Roast vegetables in oven for about 30-40 minutes.
- Transfer vegetables to a stock pot. Add 3 cups of the chicken
stock, bay leaves, dried basil and butter or margarine.
- **Note, if you are using fresh basil, wait to add.
- Bring soup to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for about 15-20
- If using fresh basil, add now.
- Using an immersion blender, (or a regular blender in batches)
puree the soup until completely smooth.
- Add milk and remaining chicken stock, if needed, to reach
desired thickness for soup. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with a
delicious grilled cheese sandwich and enjoy!