Chicken salad is one of my favorite hearty lunches or refreshing light dinners. Served over a bed of lettuce, wrapped up tight in a tasty tortilla, or sandwiched between two thick slices of bread, chicken salad is a wonderful, versatile dish that you can easily alter to suit your own tastes.
In fact, while my original recipe includes juicy grilled chicken, slivered almonds, sweet crisp apples and crunchy slices of celery, it is also very versatile. Don’t have any apples? Try subbing in some raisins, dried cranberries or dried cherries. No almonds? Try toasted pecans or walnuts. Have some Greek yogurt on hand? Try subbing that for part of the mayonnaise for a lighter tangy twist. The options are endless.
Now Ryan and I prefer our chicken salad on the sweeter side, so I often use half Miracle Whip half mayo for our salad dressing. However, if you prefer a more savory chicken salad, feel free to use regular mayonnaise or a combo of mayo and sour cream/Greek yogurt, both of which work well in this recipe.
What is your favorite way to eat chicken salad? Let me know below!
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbls. dressing of choice
- I use half light Miracle Whip, half mayo, but you may also use regular or light mayo, half sour cream or Greek yogurt etc…
- 1/8-1/4 tsp. salt (to taste)
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced celery (about 1 stalk)
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds (1 oz.)
- 1/4 cup diced apple
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1/3 cup shredded cheese (optional)
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together dressing, salt, and lemon juice.
- Using a fork, mix in shredded chicken until fully incorporated
- Mix in remaining ingredients until everything is evenly covered in dressing. (Add as much dressing as you prefer to reach desired consistency.)
- Enjoy served over a bed of lettuce, wrapped in a tortilla, or between two of your favorite slices of bread.