As you are likely well aware, at least if you live in the United States, this summer has been HOT. Every night on the news the weatherman presents the entire country colored in the scorching hues of orange and red with words like sizzling and steamy written across the states. What’s more, just when you think you might get a breath of relief, it gets hotter and even more humid. While this weather is wonderful for pool goers, beach lovers, and every other water fanatic in your life, it makes turning on the oven and spending long hours in the kitchen rather unappealing.
Fresh Tomato and Tortellini Pasta
- 12 oz tomatoes – seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tbls. red wine vinegar
- 1 tbls. extra vigin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove – finely minced
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper – to taste
- 5-6 basil leaves – chiffonade
- 9 oz. package of refrigerated cheese tortellini (one that serves 2-3 people)
- Trader Joe’s has some great varieties if you’re looking to change up the flavors.
- Combine first seven ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Add basil and mix again. Set aside for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook tortellini according to package instructions.
- Combine tomato sauce and pasta and serve immediately.
- If the sauce is too juicy, combine the sauce and tortellini in your pasta pot and allow the dish to simmer a few minutes, letting some of the juices evaporate.