Ah, peanut butter cookies, how delicious they are. Soft and chewy with that wonderful peanut butter flavor, these classic cookies never let me down. A perfect lunch box dessert, afternoon pick me up, or bed time snack, these simple little cookies are sure to please any peanut butter lover in your life. Enjoy!
- Do you like a little crunch in your cookies? Try adding 1/2-1 cup chopped peanuts to your batter OR substitute crunchy peanut butter.
- The bake time mentioned below provides a chewy cookie, if you prefer a crispy cookie, add a few more minutes.
- For an extra sparkle on your cookies, try rolling the dough balls in granulated sugar before flattening and baking.
Peanut Butter Cookies
Yields: 2 dozen cookies
Adapted from: My old Betty Crocker “Cooky Book”
- 1/2 cup butter – *just* softened (not overly mushy)
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tbls. creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar – packed
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, thoroughly cream together butter, peanut butter, sugars, egg and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Mix dry ingredients into batter until just combined.
- Put batter in refrigerator for 1/2-1 hour.
- Don’t skip this step, or your cookies will spread very flat.
- If your fork is sticking to the cookies, dip it lightly in flour, first.