Happy National Zucchini Day!
This recipe is dedicated to all of you gardeners out there who have zucchini and summer squash taking over your gardens; I know there are several of you!
With a great crunch from the panko breadcrumbs and an incredible flavor from the Parmesan, garlic, and Italian seasoning, these zucchini fries provide a wonderful new twist to this summertime staple. Dip them in your favorite marinara sauce and you have a perfect, easy side dish for dinner tonight. Enjoy!
Looking for another great way to use up your zucchini? How about some Italian Zucchini Hoagies?
- I had summer squash in abundance so that is what you see in the pictures above. Both summer squash and zucchini work great, however!
- To ensure a crispy fry on all sides, I bake my zucchini on a cooling rack sprayed with cooking spray, which I place atop a foil lined baking sheet. The rack allows the air to circulate all around the fries, while the foil makes for easy clean up.
- 2 small zucchini or summer squash – about 3/4- 1 lb. total
- 2 tbls. flour (gluten free, if desired)
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 egg – beaten
- Marinara sauce – for dipping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place a cooling rack over the sheet.
- See “Paula’s Notes” above.
- Clean and cut zucchini into large sticks – about the width of your pinky and 3 inches in length.
- In a large bowl whisk together panko, Parmesan, garlic powder and Italian seasoning. Set aside.
- Put flour into a large plastic food storage bag or tupperware with a lid. Add zucchini sticks to flour and shake to coat. (This helps the egg stick to the zucchini.)
- Creating an assembly line, first dip zucchini stick in beaten egg, shaking off excess, then in breadcrumb mixture, pressing to coat with crumbs.
- Transfer to cooling rack and repeat with remaining sticks.
- Place zucchini in oven for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve alongside mariana sauce for dipping, and enjoy!