I apologize for the week between posts…believe me I wanted to get this recipe up sooner! Unfortunately, last Monday and Tuesday my computer went haywire and would not move past a bright blue screen after startup…Yes, concern, worry, and frustration ensued considering my entire dissertation, course work, class prep, recipes, photos, music etc…are held within these files. Luckily my dad taught me well, and my files were all backed up. Therefore, after several hours in the Apple Store, an entire wiping of my computer, transferring data, wiping my back up drive, and purchasing and reloading several applications, I am up and running once again. <Insert sigh of relief here>
You know what this situation needs? Chocolate. And. Peanut Butter.
Do you love peanut butter? Do you love chocolate? Then you will LOVE these cookies. I was playing around with my triple chocolate cookies the other day, and started thinking about how to make an over the top cookie even more decadent. The result? A rich chocolatey cookie with sweet and slightly salty peanut butter permeating every bite. I’m telling you, these cookies are delicious. Next time you can’t decide between peanut butter or chocolate cookies, give this recipe a try. I bet you won’t be able to stop at one 🙂
- These cookies don’t spread much, so if you’re looking for a flat, perfectly round cookie, lightly dampen your hand and gently press the cookie dough into shape before baking.
- Having a hard time telling if your cookies are ready to come out of the oven? To ensure a perfectly chewy cookie, I watch my batch very carefully at the last few minutes. The moment the tops aren’t shiny (read raw) I pull them out and let them finish cooking on the baking sheet. Your cookies will be perfectly soft and chewy on the inside, and lightly crisp on the outside, every time.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies
Yields: 2 dozen cookies (Can easily be doubled)
- 4 tbls. butter – room temperature
- 4 tbls. creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbls. granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbls. brown sugar – packed
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1 (generous) cup peanut butter chips (I used Reece’s brand)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream together butter, peanut butter, and sugars until light and fluffy. 2-3 minutes
- Add in egg and vanilla and beat until smooth.
- In a separate bowl whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and mix until just combined, scraping down the sides and bottom of bowl.
- Fold in peanut butter chips.
- Drop dough by rounded teaspoon onto parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or just until set.
- Be careful not to over bake, as you want these cookies nice and soft. They will finish baking on the cookie sheets after you pull them out of the oven. (See note above)
Adapted from my Triple Chocolate Cookies