Wild Rice Bella Burgers
Today I decided to make wild rice the star of the meal by forming it into patties and making a burger, and I must say, I am very pleased with the results! The warm, nutty flavors of the wild rice combine perfectly with the meaty, earthy, baby portabellas, while the sharp cheddar, garlic, and seasonings tie everything together. If you’re looking for a new twist on a burger, I’ve got you covered!
Paula’s Notes: When forming the patties, don’t get nervous; they don’t stick together as easily as a beef or turkey burgers, but that’s okay! Gently press them into a patty in the palm of your hands, and then place them into a preheated greased skillet. Then, simply add a bit more wild rice mixture to the patty, until it reaches the size you want, and pat down lightly. The cheese and the egg act as binders once they hit the hot skillet, so when you flip the patties over, they will hold together.
Wild Rice Bella Burgers
Yield: 4-6 burgers depending on how large you make them
- 1/2 cup diced portabella mushrooms
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic – minced
- 2 tbls. olive oil – divided
- 1 1/3 cups cooked and cooled wild rice – be sure that the rice is fully “bloomed”
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese – divided
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs (gluten free, if desired) I have used regular and panko with equal success
- 1 1/2 tsp. Lawry’s seasoning salt
- 4 hamburger buns (gluten free, if desired)
- Toppings for burgers: optional
- Mayonnaise, Miracle Whip or Garlic Mayo
- Heat 1 tbls. oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and mushrooms and saute until tender, about 5-8 minutes. Add garlic for the last minute of cook time. Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl combine wild rice, 1/2 cup cheese, bread crumbs, seasoning, and mushroom mixture. Stir to combine.
- Add in eggs and stir until fully incorporated.
- Preheat remaining tbls. of olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Gently form mixture into patties and place in skillet. If you have trouble with the mixture sticking, see note above.
- Cook patties until browned on one side, about 3-4 minutes. Gently flip and cook on other side until done. As second side cooks, top burgers with remaining cheddar cheese.
- Serve burgers atop hamburger buns and decorate with favorite toppings.
Inspired by this recipe