If you read Thursday’s post, you will know that I have peanut butter and pretzels on the mind. After googling this sweet-and-salty flavor combination, I came across a recipe by Brown Eyed Baker that I couldn’t pass up. She has a delicious concoction of pretzels, peanut butter, and brown sugar rolled together in truffle form and enveloped in a rich chocolate coating…YUM! I decided to take it one step further and incorporate a pretty drizzle of caramel over the top, rendering a homemade truffle similar to a tasty Take 5 candy bar.
Simple to make and even easier to eat, these Take 5 truffles will not only satisfy your sweet-and-salty craving, but also make a delicious holiday gift. Whip up a batch today!
Yields: 18 truffles
Time: 1 hr. 20 minutes (including chilling time)
- 1 1/2 cups thin pretzel sticks (I used Rold Gold)
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 tbls. butter – room temperature
- 2 tbls. brown sugar – packed
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 tbls. powdered sugar
- 1 generous cup milk chocolate chips (you may also use semi-sweet chocolate, though I prefer the flavor of milk chocolate with this truffle)
- 1 tbls. shortening
- 1/4 cup caramel bits (an item made by Kraft found in the baking section. Similar in size to a chocolate chip, these bits are made with caramel and melt easily in the microwave.
- 1 tsp. water
- Put pretzel sticks in a large zip top bag. Using a rolling pin. crush into small pieces. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together peanut butter, butter, brown sugar and salt until smooth and creamy.
- Mix in pretzel pieces and stir until fully combined.
- Add in powdered sugar and mix fully.
- Using a small cookie scoop or 2 teaspoons, drop pretzel filling, by rounded teaspoon, on a parchment-lined baking sheet or large plate. If using two spoons, you may need to use your hands to roll the filling into small balls – spray your hands with cooking spray before rolling to avoid a sticky mess.
- Transfer truffle balls to freezer for 30 minutes.
- After truffles have chilled, put milk chocolate and shortening into medium microwave safe bowl. Microwave, in 30 second increments, stirring in between each increment, until chocolate is smooth. (It took my microwave 1 minute)
- Remove truffles from freezer, and using a fork, drop one truffle at a time into chocolate. Roll around until fully coated. Lift truffle out of chocolate and allow excess chocolate to fall away. Return to baking sheet.
- Repeat with remaining truffles.
- Once truffles are dipped, put caramels and water in a small microwave safe dish. Microwave at 30 second increments, stirring between each increment, until fully melted.
- Transfer melted caramel to a zip top baggie. Make a small cut off the corner of the bag and drizzle over top of truffles.
- Transfer truffles to refrigerator until fully chilled. Store in an airtight container.
Recipe slightly adapted from Brown Eyed Baker