Nacho Pepper Bites
Happy Cinco de Mayo! Do you have anything special on your menu to celebrate? Ryan and I will be feasting on slow cooker chicken fajitas and nacho pepper bites this evening; I cannot wait. What are nacho pepper bites you ask? Well let me introduce you to this wonderful new dish…
I came across this creative recipe at Heat Oven to 350 the other day when I was scrolling through foodgawker looking for some dinner inspiration. Nicole came up with this unique new twist on traditional nachos, and I had to give it a try. I adapted her recipe just slightly by swapping out the chicken for black beans, but if you are looking for a little meat in this dish, then I would recommend following Nicole’s recipe to the T. It’s delicious!
With the warm flavors of chili powder and salsa combined with the slightly crisp peppers and warm cheesy filling, these mini nacho bites are a tasty new twist on a junk food classic. Enjoy!
Are you celebrating Cinco de Mayo? Let me know below!
- 1 tsp. oil
- 2 garlic cloves – minced
- 6 green onions – sliced (white parts and green parts separated)
- 15 oz. can black beans – drained and rinsed (you may also use 1 1/2 cups shredded chicken as Nicole does)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 1/2 pounds mini bell peppers – I found mine by the large bell peppers in a bag
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese – I used Mexican blend
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives
- 1 tomato – diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro – chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and the white parts of the green onion and sauté for about one minute, stirring occasionally.
- Add in beans (or chicken), sprinkle with chili powder and stir. Heat through an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in salsa.
- Meanwhile, cut off the ends of each mini bell pepper and slice in half lengthwise. Remove the seeds and ribs and press open flat on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Distribute bean mixture evenly into pepper halves. Top with cheese and black olives.
- Bake nachos for about 10-12 minutes, or until cheese is melted and gooey.
- Remove nachos from oven and top with tomatoes, cilantro and remaining green onions.
Recipe from Heat Oven to 350