We have all had those mornings when staying in bed and sleeping an extra
five, ten, fifteen minutes sounds way more appealing than starting the day. Unfortunately for me it has been happening more often than not, which results in a scramble to get a good breakfast in the morning.
Enter the smoothie.
I have recently discovered the wonders of the smoothie. (Yes, I realize I’m a bit late in the game…) You get your fruit, protein, whole grain, and fiber all whirled together in a deliciously cold drink; best of all, this happens in less than five minutes. Yes please! Currently my favorite creation consists of frozen banana, strawberries, Greek yogurt, milk, and rolled oats (Yes, oats!) With the sweet flavor of strawberry-banana combined with satiating protein and fiber, this smoothie is the perfect fuel to get you through your morning, especially as the hot summer months creep in.
What is your favorite grab and go breakfast? Let me know below!
Strawberry Banana Smoothie
Yields: 1 big or 2 small smoothies
Time: 3 minutes
- 3/4-1 cup milk of choice, depending on desired thickness (I use 1 cup of vanilla almond milk)
- 1 5-6 oz. container strawberry Greek yogurt. (You may also use plain, if desired)
- If you use plain, you may need to add sweetener to taste.
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup strawberries – tops removed
- 1 banana – frozen and broken into chunks (you may also use fresh, but frozen yields a great texture) Also, remember, the riper the banana the sweeter your smoothie!
- 1/4 cup oats (rolled or quick cooking)
- Combine ingredients into a blender in order listed above.
- Blend on high until smooth and creamy.
- Pour into a tall glass and enjoy!