Between busy traffic and a late night at the gym, however, Wednesdays are often a bit rushed. Long story shot, after I’m finally home, I need to get dinner ready – fast.
I have a feeling I’m not alone in needing quick and flavorful dinner recipes. Therefore, every Wednesday I plan to deliver quick recipes – 30 minutes or less – to your computer screen so that you too have an arsenal of fast meals for your particularly crazy nights.
Today I offer you a delicious, Mexican inspired, warm chicken and black bean salad. Chock full of tasty ingredients including chicken, black beans, sweet corn, and juicy tomatoes, this meal is fast, packed with filling protein and fiber, and incredibly flavorful. Enjoy!
Which is your busiest day of the week? Also, is Wednesday traffic crazy where you live, too? Let me know below!
Warm Chicken and Black Bean Salad
- 8 oz. boneless skinless chicken breast tenders (may also use whole chicken breasts, but pound thin prior to cooking)
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- pinch cayenne pepper (or more depending on desired heat level)
- 1/2 tbls. olive oil
- 1 medium-large shallot, diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced (optional)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can low sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2/3 cup frozen sweet corn kernels
- 3/4 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tbls. chopped cilantro (can substitute parsley if desired)
- 1 tsp. red wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Combine cumin with cayenne pepper and rub into chicken.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Sauté chicken for 3-4 minutes per side, or until fully cooked. Remove from pan.
- In the same skillet, add shallot and jalapeño (if using) and cook, stirring, for one minute.
- Add garlic and cook an additional 30 seconds, or until fragrant.
- Add the beans, corn, tomatoes, salt, and 2 tablespoons of water. Cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes, or until ingredients are heated through.
- Remove from heat and toss with green onions, cilantro, and vinegar.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide bean mixture onto two plates.
- Slice chicken and arrange on top of beans.
Recipe adapted from: Myrecipes