Since I took the Kitchen Organization Challenge last week, I found a bunch of old recipes I had clipped from magazines and written down from friends. This latest recipe is from one of those.
I love pesto. It’s more than just a crush, I could put pesto on everything. I kept this recipe because it was for Kale Pesto, which I’ve never had before. Kale has so many nutritional benefits that I thought it would be interesting to give it a try.
This meal whipped up really fast. You could also prepare the pesto ahead of time and you would be ready to eat in no time flat.
The roasted carrots were nice, I would choose to add some roasted red peppers to the mix next time as well.
We devoured the dish. Luckily since there’s only two of us, we get to have it again tomorrow night. Hooray for easy dinners!
Cheese Tortellini with Kale Pesto and Roasted Carrots
Yield: Serves 4 – 5
Time: 20 minutes
- 6 carrots, sliced
- 2 red peppers, chopped (not in picture)
- 6 tablespoons of olive oil
- salt & black pepper
- 2 tablespoons roasted sliced almonds, plus a little extra for serving
- 1-2 cloves of garlic (I like 2, keeps the vampires away 😉
- 3 1/2 cups of Kale, stems discarded
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan, plus more for serving
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 16 – 18 ounces fresh or frozen cheese tortellini
- Heat oven to 450 degrees. Toss the carrots and peppers in two tablespoons of olive oil with salt and pepper in rimmed backing sheet. Roast until tender, tossing once. (10 – 12 minutes)
- Pulse the almonds and garlic in a food processor. Then add the kale, Parmesan, lemon zest, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and pulse until finely chopped. Next, with the processor running, add 4 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Cook the tortellini according to package directions. Keep 1/2 cup of the cooking water before draining the tortellini. Then return to the pot. Add the pesto, carrots and at least 1/4 cup of the cooking water to the pot and mix. If you need to loosen the sauce up more, add a little more water.
- Sprinkle with remaining chopped almonds and Parmesan.