As I mentioned in my post on Monday, we had a dreary, cool weekend in Boston leaving me craving warm comfort food.
Coming to the rescue on Saturday night was this flavorful, hearty, Chicken and Pinto Chili.
Saturday was a day filled with lecture prep and article revision, so I knew I wouldn’t have much motivation to create an elaborate meal by dinner time. Therefore, I decided to pull out my trusty slow cooker and throw a bunch of ingredients into a pot. The result is this tasty chili.
Made almost entirely with pantry ingredients, this recipe takes minutes to prepare and makes your entire home smell delicious by dinner time.
Paula’s Notes: I used a few cans of chicken that I had sitting in my pantry since I didn’t want to head out to the store for one ingredient.Fee free to use fresh chicken, however!
Chicken and Pinto Chili
Yield: 4-6 servings
Time: Prep: 5 minutes Cook time: 6-8 hours on low
- 9 oz canned chicken, drained
- 16 oz jar salsa – I used mild; choose whichever heat level you prefer, of course.
- 15 oz. can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 oz. can green chili peppers
- 1 1/3 cups frozen sweet corn
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- Shredded cheese
- Sour cream
- Fresh Cilantro
- Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker. (Do not include optional toppings)
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or until flavors have melded and your house smells incredible.
- If you used fresh chicken, shred chicken into pieces before serving.
- Top with optional toppings, if desired.