It’s NOVEMBER!!! What happened? I look away for one second and BOOM, October is gone and November is here, bringing all it’s “baked-good cravings” with it. I want my home to smell like cinnamon-y baking goodness all the time.
I raided my cupboard this weekend, knowing that I had a can of pumpkin puree to help make something delicious. So many possibilities in this one lil’ can. Too many for me to make a decision, so I asked my husband what he wanted, I had it narrowed down to pumpkin scones or these yummy muffins. The scones will have to wait for another day because it took him about 1 second to decide on the muffins.
With Halloween done, I am diving head-first into the baking season. It’s finally turned “chilly” in Southern California. I actually wore a sweater outside today! Ah, I love sweater season…until I don’t and then I’m really over it, but for now, it’s new and fun and snuggly. Bring it on!
What’s your favorite warm-weather outfit to wear?
I posted an early pic of these bad boys on instagram this weekend and got the most hits in less than a half hour than we’ve ever gotten. (be sure to follow us on instagram @paulas_plate)
Healthier Pumpkin Pecan Chocolate Chip Muffins
Time: 30 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups wheat flour
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 egg whites, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 ripe banana, mashed
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips, plus 2 tablespoons
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Combine flour, oatmeal, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice and salt in one bowl.
- In another bowl combine brown sugar, egg whites, vanilla, milk, pumpkin, applesauce and banana.
- Slowly pour the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture.
- Fold in pecans and chocolate chips.
- Fill each cup around 3/4 full and sprinkle the tops with a little oatmeal.
- Bake for 20 – 28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center of muffins comes out clean. (5 minutes before muffins are ready to come out, sprinkle a little sugar on the top)