We have reached mid-July — can you believe it?
I was talking with a friend at the gym the other day, and she told me that her garden has officially reached the “zucchini take-over” stage of the season. Upon hearing this news, I decided I better get a jump start on some new zucchini creations. If “zucchini take-over” has started in Massachusetts, I am sure it has in other places, too!
I have professed my love of zoodles in a previous post; they are such a great alternative to your standard pasta. Gluten free, fiber rich, and vitamin packed…what’s not to love? Well today I played a game called “how can I use up some leftover ricotta cheese,” (which I bought for this recipe), and I think I conquered the challenge by combining zoodles, cheese, and bacon. Yep. Bacon wins every time.
With salty bacon, sweet tomatoes, creamy ricotta, and a bite of Parmesan, this zoodle dish is seriously delicious. Plus, your meal is ready to eat in under 15 minutes. What more could you ask for? Gluten free and protein packed? Okay, you can have that, too. Enjoy!
What are some of your favorite zucchini recipes? Let me know below!
Bacon and Tomato Zoodles
Yields: 2 servings (though I’ve been known to eat the whole thing…)
Time: 15 minutes
- 2 large zucchini, spiralized (this is the tool I use)
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. chopped garlic
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 6 slices bacon – turkey, pork, or soy
- 1/3 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 tbls. Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp. salt (or to taste – this will vary depending on the saltiness of your bacon)
- Cook bacon to desired crispness according to package directions. Set aside and allow to cool. Crumble.
- Meanwhile, spiralize your zucchini and slice your tomatoes.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and stir until fragrant – about 30 seconds.
- Add zucchini and cook 3-5 minutes, or until you reach your desired texture. Be careful not to overcook or your pasta will turn to mush.
- Turn off heat. Drain zoodles of any excess liquid, if necessary.
- Return zoodles to pan. Add tomatoes, bacon, and ricotta. Stir until ricotta has melted and ingredients are well combined.
- Add in Parmesan, stir to combine.
- Add salt to taste.