Chewy Chocolate Brownies
It’s Monday… Here is some chocolate!
We had a surprising and wonderful break from the extreme heat this past weekend. And by surprising, I mean a 25-30 degree drop in temperature. It felt so nice to open up the windows and let in the fresh cool air. Taking advantage of these lower temps, I finally turned on my oven and put the finishing touches on my brownie recipe.
I’ve been playing around with this recipe for a while now, and I think I finally have it right. Plus, I’ve discovered that the recipe works well in the toaster oven, too. With the high temps recently, I have been relying largely on my toaster oven to avoid heating up the kitchen. In fact, I think I can safely say that this appliance is one of my favorite pieces of kitchen equipment. It pre-heats in minutes, can cook almost anything (I made this banana bread in it last week), takes very little energy, and best of all, it does not heat up the kitchen.
Anyway, tangent ended. Whichever type of oven you use to make this recipe, just make it. These brownies are a deliciously rich and chocolatey indulgence. Trust me when I say, you need these brownies in your life. (Fear not gluten-free readers, I’m almost satisfied the gluten free version… it won’t be long.)
Do you ever cook in a toaster oven? What do you prepare? Let me know below!
Chewy Chocolate Brownies
Time: Start to finish ~ 1 hour
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (regular or extra dark as noted above)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup of chocolate chips, optional
- 3 tbls butter – softened
- 3 tbls unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tbls honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spray a 9×9 inch pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk together 1/3 cup cocoa, flour, salt, and baking powder.
- In a medium saucepan, melt 1/2 cup butter.
- Remove from heat, and stir in sugar, eggs, and 1 tsp vanilla.
- Beat in dry ingredients and optional chocolate chips (try not to over-mix).
- Spread batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes, be careful not to overcook. (I usually add about 5 minutes when baking in my toaster oven)
- Combine 3 tbls. butter, 3 tbls. cocoa, 1 tbls. honey, 1 tsp vanilla, and 1 cup powdered sugar.
- Frost brownies while they are still warm.
- Enjoy with a tall glass of milk.
Recipe adapted from Allrecipes