You know it has been hot when the weatherman claims “a touch of fall is in the air” when discussing a forecast in the low 80s.
While the 80 degree temperatures may not have me convinced about the onset of fall, however, the promise of school starting in less than a week makes it a bit more real. Daily routines fall back into place, and the morning rush out the door begins once again.
Made from simple pantry ingredients, these gluten free banana muffins are perfectly sweet and full of banana flavor. They are filled with fiber and protein from the oats and yogurt and make an easy grab-and-go breakfast as you head out the door. Pair them with a hard boiled egg for some added protein and you have a delicious breakfast to keep you going strong throughout the morning. (They’re great for an afternoon snack, too!)
Paula’s Notes: The riper the bananas the better. Ripe = sweet.
These muffins freeze wonderfully. Just take a few out of the freezer the night before and you’re ready to go in the morning.
What’s your favorite grab-and-go breakfast? Let me know below!
Gluten Free Banana Muffins
Yield: 12 Muffins
Time: 25 minutes
- 2 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 4 tbls. butter, room temperature
- 1/3-1/2 cup packed brown sugar (this will vary depending on how sweet you like your muffins and how ripe your bananas are. If your bananas don’t have a lot of brown spots, you will want to increase to 1/2 cup.)
- 2 1/4 cup oats (gluten free, if necessary)
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine all ingredients in a high-powered blender. (I use my ninja.)
- Blend ingredients until completely smooth (see video above).
- Line a muffin tin with liners or coat well with cooking spray. (I like these liners, which don’t stick to the muffins.)
- Distribute batter evenly amongst the 12 muffin cups.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 18-20 minutes, or until golden brown and toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.