Do you have 15 minutes? Great! I have a flavor rich, protein packed, gluten free meal just for you.
My husband and I were at Chipotle for dinner the other day, and as I dug into my burrito bowl it dawned on me how simple (and affordable) it would be to recreate my own version at home. Rice, beans, and veggies– it doesn’t get much easier than that.
Wanting to make my homemade version a recipe for everyone, I decided to keep these burrito bowls vegetarian (or vegan!). Chipotle, cumin, garlic, onion: there are so many great flavors and textures that you won’t miss the meat, I promise. If you or someone in your household can’t have a meal without meat, however, feel free to throw in some cooked chicken or steak. It’s a great way to use up leftovers!
What is your favorite item to order at Chipotle? Do you like recreating restaurant favorites at home? Let me know or link up below!
Chipotle Black Bean Burrito Bowls
Time: 15 minutes
- 1 (3.5-ounce) bag boil-in-bag brown rice
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 tsp. salt, divided
- 15 oz. can low sodium black beans, undrained
- 1 tbls. chopped chipotle chiles, canned in adobo sauce
- 1 cup sliced cherry tomatoes
- 1/3 cup finely chopped green onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- 1 lime
- 1 1/3 cups very thinly sliced red cabbage
- 1/2 cup cheese of choice
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and sliced
- Cook brown rice according to package directions.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Spray pan lightly with olive oil; I use my mister.
- Add garlic and cumin. Cook 90 seconds, stirring frequently. Stir in rice and 1/4 tsp. salt.
- Partially drain black beans. Place beans and remaining liquid in a small saucepan. Stir in chipotle chiles and 1/4 tsp. salt. Bring bean mixture to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes.
- Combine remaining 1/4 tsp. salt, tomatoes, green onion, cilantro/parsley, 1/2 lime juiced. Toss to combine.
- Combine 1 tsp. oil, other 1/2 of lime juice, and cabbage. Toss well.
- Divide rice mixture evenly among four bowls. Divide bean mixture, tomato mixture, cabbage mixture, cheese, and avocado evenly over rice.
Recipe from April 2016 Cooking Light magazine.