Pizza Stuffed Peppers – The Works
Pizza…without a crust…can it be true? (Can it be good?) Let me answer with an anecdote. After his first bite, my pizza-loving, health-food-hating husband declared, “this is delicious!” and proceeded to get seconds. Score one for the pizza stuffed peppers!
Filled with the works, these little pizzas are loaded with ground turkey (or beef), pepperoni, mushrooms, gooey cheese, and – of course- peppers. With so much flavor packed in each serving, you won’t think twice about the missing crust. A gluten free dream!
What’s more, these peppers are completely versatile. Fill them with your favorite toppings and you’re on your way to a delicious crust-free pizza that’s bursting with flavor.
What are you favorite pizza toppings? Let me know below!
Pizza Stuffed Peppers
Yields: 2-4 servings (2 in this house)
Time: 40 minutes
- 2 bell peppers, cut in half with ribs and seeds removed
- 5-6 large button mushrooms, diced
- 8 oz. ground turkey or beef (I use 93% lean ground turkey)
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 cup marinara sauce (or pizza sauce)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- 8 turkey (or regular) pepperonis
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice bell peppers in half and clean out ribs and seeds. Place peppers in a microwave safe dish, skin-side up. Put a tablespoon of water in the dish, cover, and microwave for 2 minutes. (This softens the peppers a bit and speeds up cooking time in the oven.) Drain any excess liquid.
- Meanwhile, brown turkey in a large skillet over medium high heat. Set aside.
- Put mushrooms in the same skillet. Cook until most of the mushrooms’ liquid is released. Add ground turkey back to skillet and combine. Turn off heat.
- Add garlic powder and marinara sauce to the meat mixture. Stir until fully combined.
- Put peppers in a baking dish. Divide meat mixture evenly between the four pepper halves.
- Top peppers with cheese and pepperonis.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes, or until cheese is melted and the peppers reach your desired texture.