Fresh and Flavorful Vegetable Primavera
We have a wonderful farmer’s market near my house that runs every Saturday morning from 9:30-2:00. As the summer progresses it gets increasingly more fun to venture over and search for inspiration with all of the the unique vegetables offered. This past Saturday the selection was a little picked over by the time I arrived, but I still found some delicious ripe tomatoes and fresh zucchini. Yes!
One of my favorite things to prepare on a busy weeknight is a giant bowl of pasta. Truly, there is nothing better. That said, a huge bowl of carbs is not necessarily the most figure friendly dinner, especially when it is on a regular rotation like it is at my house. To solve this conundrum, I have started incorporating lots of flavorful vegetables in my pasta dishes in order to fill me up, without weighing me down.
To create this colorful meal I start by using Ronzoni’s new Garden Delight Fettuccine pasta. The noodles are made with a variety of vegetables, which gives the pasta those beautiful green, orange and yellow colors. However, if this brand is not available in your store, simply substitute any regular pasta; the colors in the meal will still be gorgeous, as the carrots and zucchini are peeled into long pasta-like strips and tossed with the hot pasta at the end. Combine this with fresh tomatoes, mushrooms, garlic, basil and Parmesan cheese and you have one flavor packed primavera. Click “read more” to see the ingredients and directions. I hope you enjoy!
- 3 medium carrots – cleaned and peeled with a vegetable peeler into long, thin ribbon-like strips.
- 1 medium or 2 small zucchini – cleaned and peeled into long, thin ribbon-like strips.
- **Note, I prefer to use 2 small zucchini as there tends to be less seeds than the larger variety. When peeling the zucchini, once you get to the core, discard the rest as the seeds will affect the texture and consistency of the dish.
- 2 fresh tomatoes – seeded and diced
- 3 cloves of garlic – minced
- 12 button mushrooms – sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon corn starch dissolved in 2 tablespoons low sodium chicken stock
- 3/4 cup low sodium chicken stock
- 1/3 cup milk
- 8 oz. ronzoni garden delight fettuccine
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- black pepper – to taste
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- In a large pot of salted boiling water add 8 oz. of pasta and cook according to package instructions, draining one minute shy of al dente.
- *Reserve 1/2 cup of cooking liquid.