Apple Cinnamon Bread
The temperature in New England dropped considerably this week, bringing with it the welcomed breath of cool crisp air. Combine that with a big pot of soup simmering on the stove, the constant murmur of football in the living room all day Sunday, and even a few trees changing color, and there is no denying it – fall is here, and I love it.
This past weekend Ryan and I went apple picking with some of our good friends, and we came home with a truckload of honey crisp apples and bosc pears. Even as we were picking I was thinking about the first things I would make, and by the time I was home I already had a full list. So far I have apple pancakes, apple bread, and apple bars under my belt, (or rather in my stomach…) and I am looking forward to some applesauce and apple butter next. I hope you’re ready for some serious apple recipes in the next few weeks 🙂
Apple Cinnamon Bread
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. all spice
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar – packed
- 2 medium Honey Crisp apples (or your favorite apple) peeled and shredded – I used my food processor.
- The original recipe dices the apples into small chunks, which you could also do and yield a slightly different texture.
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray an 8×4 inch loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, all spice, and cloves. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the eggs and beat on medium speed for about 30 seconds. Add the oil, applesauce, and vanilla. Mix until smooth.
- Add in brown and granulated sugar and mix until fully combined.
- Slowly add in the flour mixture and mix until flour is JUST combined.
- Gently fold in the shredded apple.
- Transfer batter into prepared loaf pan.
- To make the topping, mix together the brown sugar, sugar, and cinnamon in a small bowl. Sprinkle over the batter in the loaf pan.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until loaf is golden and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool bread in pan for 10 minutes. Loosen sides and remove from pan. Cool completely on a wire rack before slicing.