Chocolate Russian Cake
I can’t believe we are already in the second week of February; Valentine’s Day is just around the corner! Now I know there are many mixed emotions around Valentine’s Day. Some people love it while others see it as a Hallmark holiday. I must admit, I’m the former. I look forward to Valentine’s Day every year. As a kid I loved getting all my valentines ready for our school parties and now I love baking treats, sending valentines, and celebrating the day with Ryan.
In honor of Valentine’s Day this year, I have a deliciously decadent chocolate cake. It is moist, layered with a rich chocolate buttercream frosting, and bursting with chocolate flavor. Top this indulgent dessert off with some pretty pink sprinkles and you have the perfect Valentine’s Day treat. Enjoy!
How do you plan to celebrate Valentine’s Day this year? Let me know below!
Chocolate Russian Cake
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 package (19.5 ounces) dark chocolate cake mix
- 1 package (4-serving-size) instant chocolate pudding and pie filling mix
- 3/4 cup chocolate milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 6 tbls. cream soda
- 1 tbls. strong-brewed coffee
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 sticks butter – softened
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tbls. strong-brewed coffee (or as needed)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray two 8-inch round cake pans with cooking spray;
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cake mix and pudding mix. Add chocolate
milk, oil, eggs, cream soda, 1 tablespoon of the coffee, and vanilla extract.
Beat with an electric mixer on low for 30 seconds. Scrape down side of bowl;
beat on medium for 2 minutes more. Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near centers comes
out clean. Cool in pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes; remove from pans. Cool
completely on wire rack.
- In a large bowl beat butter until light and fluffy. Add in cocoa powder until smooth.
- Gradually add in powdered sugar, one cup at a time, until all is incorporated. Gradually add in coffee until desired consistency is reached.
- To assemble, place a cake layer on a serving plate. Spread with 1/2 cup of
the frosting; top with the second cake layer. Frost side and top with
the remaining frosting.
- Decorate as desired.