Zucchini Pizza Boats
It’s that time of year again when zucchinis take over gardens, flood the farmer’s markets, and leave us desperately searching for new recipes. Have you reached this stage yet?
If so, I have a fun new recipe for you. These zucchini boats are a tasty, lightened up twist on your favorite slice of pizza. By using the zucchini as your crust you sneak in some extra veggies and add an additional level of flavor; it’s a win-win situation!
While I agree that it’s hard to beat a fresh slice of pizza with a perfectly chewy crust, these pizza boats are a great alternative when you’re looking for something new. If the zucchini are small enough, you can even pick them up as you would a slice of pizza. (Or as my husband calls it, ‘za.)
What’s more, this recipe allows you to cater to everyone’s tastes. Love olives? Add some in the mix! Not a pepperoni fan? Swap it for diced chicken. Make these pizza boats your own, and enjoy every bite. Enjoy!
What are your favorite pizza toppings? Let me know below!
Zucchini Pizza Boats
- 6 medium zucchini
- 1 cup of your favorite pizza or marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs (gluten free, if desired)
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 25 turkey pepperoni, cut into quarters
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Wash the zucchini well and slice lengthwise.
- Using a spoon, scoop out the inside of the zucchini, being sure to leave about one centimeter of zucchini around the edges. Set aside zucchini filling for later.
- Place the scooped out zucchini halves on a foil lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Bake for 3-4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop the reserved zucchini into smaller pieces. Return the chopped pieces to a medium bowl and combine with the pizza sauce, panko, parmesan cheese, 3/4 of the pepperoni, and 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese.
- Remove zucchini from oven after 3-4 minutes and evenly distribute sauce mixture into each boat.
- Top boats with remaining mozzarella cheese and pepperoni. Place in the oven and bake for approximately 12 minutes or until the cheese has melted and is slightly browned. The longer the zucchini are in the oven, the softer they will be. (This also depends on the size of your zucchini. Mine were roughly 8 inches in length.)