Turkey Sloppy Joes
images of meat in a can, or terrible cafeteria food come to mind.
In my humble opinion, however, Sloppy Joes are a highly underrated and
delicious comfort food; I hope that after trying this version, you’ll agree with me.
Today’s recipe for this classic sandwich meets all the requirements for a great dish and then some. It is flavorful, affordable,
a great source of protein, easy to make, and most importantly,
perfectly-sweet-with-just-the-right amount-of-tang (yes, that’s a word).
these Turkey Sloppy Joes are quick to throw together and lightened up with the omission of
red meat. If you prefer to use beef, however, be my guest! Pile it high on your
favorite sandwich roll and dig in.
ingredients. Quality counts. Just as you want to cook with a flavorful wine,
you also want to use a delicious BBQ sauce. While I am all about buying generic brands to save my pennies, I recommend spending a few dollars more to get a BBQ sauce you really love (or use your own favorite homemade recipe). I personally
Both are pretty tasty.
Turkey Sloppy Joes
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 1/4 lbs. (20 oz.) ground turkey
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup good BBQ sauce
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper – or to taste (omit if you don’t want
- 1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp. unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 cup water, or as needed
- 6 hamburger buns (Gluten free if necessary)
- Melt oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion;
cook and stir until onion starts to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Incorporate ground turkey and 1/2 cup water into the onions.
Cook and stir, breaking up the meat, until it begins to brown, about 2 minutes.
- Add ketchup, BBQ sauce, cayenne pepper, salt, and black
pepper. Cook and stir until liquid is reduced, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in Worcestershire sauce and cocoa powder. Cook,
stirring frequently and adding up to 1/2 cup water if needed, until meat is
cooked through and liquid is reduced and thick, about 10-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toast hamburger buns if desired.
- Top buns with meat mixture and enjoy!